May 9, 2012

The Skirt.

Low - high, asymmetric, tail hem ..
- any way you want to call it, it's definitely THE SKIRT. 
And I've joined the ones who love them,
one day I just decided to MAKE it for myself.
[I didn't use any instructions, this was quite simple thing to do. :]

You like it?

Well here's how I made it...
[ With not-so-good -photos since I had the inspiration
 to do this skirt in the middle of the night haha. ]

* All you need is a skirt. *


Long ones are the best, of course depends on how long you want the tail to be.
You don't need to have this much fabric as mine does, this one's got a gigantic hem ! 
[ I bought it from a flea market. Old ladies seem to have the best vintage skirts for sale,
 and with really cheap prices too! This was 1 euro if I recall correctly, yayy. :]

My skirt has also a petticoat, so I will show how I did the skirt with that piece,
since it's single coloured and you'll see the steps more clearly.


1A. I stood up in front of a mirror, and marked the front hem's length spot with a needle.
[since it's a tail hem, front is short!] 

1B. I moved the needle a bit, to be at the centre of the skirt aswell.

2. Mark the width of the front: equal length from the center to both sides.
It can be the width of your thighs or wider, the amount of legs you want to show.
[ This is a centimeter tape measure by the way. ]
My marks are 12,5 cm away from the center, so total is 25 cm.
Clear so far? :)

3. Cut the piece of ! It can be rectangle, like my slice here. [picture above and below]


And here's how it looks now, when you put it sideways.
I mean, that when you place the side seams in the middle of the skirt, 
here's what the cut out looks. Got it ? :)



4. Now it's time to shape the hem. [ picture below]
It's easier now, when the two sides are on top of each other like that.

Cut out excess fabric and put the skirt on you in between times,
to see what it looks like. My skirt has loads of fabric so this was necessary.
 [ You don't want to cut off too much either, unless you want 
the tail to be just at the backside and not on the sides at all...
but this isn't instruction for Robyn -look :]



Above and below, pictures after shaping the hem a little.


Here's what the skirt looks like upside down now:


And sideways:


5. Chop it off! [ in my case, the floral piece to match the black one ]
It's easy to cut the petticoat off after this step, like me: I didn't leave it as tail,
just the florals. Black petticoat is now just a mini skirt underneath 
so the panties wont see through.^^


***

Voilà!

***

Sorry en jaksa kääntää tähän aikaan illasta suomeksi, hih!
Mutta jos haluatte tehdä hameen itsekin ja on jotain epäselvyyksiä kuvissa
/ englanninkielisessä ohjeessa, niin jelpin mielellään. Mutta tämä oli kyllä aika iisi homma
jonka tein ilman mitään ohjeita, vain visio lopputuloksesta mielessä. :)

54 comments :

  1. Hih, ihania kuvia ja ihana hame! Kuulosti helpolta - Chop! Chop! :D Mahtaiskohan luonnistua meikäläiseltä ihan noin helpolla... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool project!
    Love the floral skirt and I'm a sucker for vintage clothing. (and their great prices, hihi) Next time I go thrifting I'll keep this diy in mind.

    Thanks for sharing!
    And yes, i can post comments again. Yay!

    Love, Sari

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! I love it!



    www.styliststeph.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute!!! I love that style, I'm sure it looks wonderful on you : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. La jupe est tres chouette!!!
    Angela Donava

    ReplyDelete
  6. finally following you also on GFC:) great job-skirt is so cute, love this floral pattern.

    xx ketty xx
    http://chicmaniapourtoi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just looove the print! I hate it that one way or another flowerprints don't work on me ;o

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay..I am still in shock over the fact that you made this! Wow, its amazing how handy a pair of scissors can be, you did a splendid job hun, it looks beau-ti-ful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sooo pretty!
    Haha, I've done this to a couple of skirts I've thrifted and I love how they turn out :)

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's such a great idea!

    Visit my blog? Miss Beatrix (http://missbeatrix.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Defiantly is interesting but I like it. I also like the outfit in your profile pic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tulipa kauniin mallinen hame! Tuo sivukuva varsinkin näyttää hyvältä. Ihanan kesäinen muutenkin tuo kuvio. Tulee jo mieleen kesäloma ja juhlat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. great job, girl! and I totally agree, thrifted skirts are the best for this. and I actually gave a thrifted dress to my grandmother and asked her to create an asymmetric dress out of it, so we'll see how it goes :P and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing some outfits with your DIY skirt ;)

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Mahtava! Vähä tollainen salsa-henkinen (:

    ReplyDelete
  15. well done! I love the result...you did a fabulous job. It looks so sassy now and perfect for summer! I love the pretty floral print too.

    mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like it :) visit my page if you will have time :)

    hugs and kisses

    www.illicitfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like it :) visit my page if you will have time :)

    hugs and kisses

    www.illicitfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, lovely how-to post! I wish I was as talented at sewing as you, I tried making a bubble skirt for a costume the other day, but made it up as I went along haha

    www.iwastakenbysurprise.blogspot.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. wooww!!! u're so talented to have this DIY!!!!!

    I'm following u now!
    hope u will follow me back.

    Find me on:
    Miss Kwong - Art and Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love it! what a great way to upcycle a skirt! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. super cute!
    olguiscloset.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love the skirt! very glam :)

    www.myladyboudoir.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello follower 101! Hehe. Good luck for the giveaway! I'll be choosing the winner using a random generator so hopefully you'll win!

    That skirt is great for spring! It's surprisingly easy to diy too!

    Also, I hope you didn't at any point misunderstand the "get married already" comment! I definitely meant it jokingly:)
    chimericalperfection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have been loving the hi-low hemline trend. Thanks for an amazing DIY idea!!

    xoxo
    Liz

    chewylove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Onpa kiva hame! Ja muutenkin hieno DIY-projekti! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow you made that?? That's amazing! I loooove high-low skirts! They are my absolute favorite right now! Yay!

    :)
    xx

    daydream frenzy

    Swimsuit Giftcard Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  28. likeeee your blog dear,
    keep posting and go for it!! ):)

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful skirt !

    xo ,
    Ana Catalarrana
    -------------------------
    http://SinBowtie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh wow, you are so talented! The skirt looks amazing! Tahnk you for sharing the tutorial too, I should try this, but I am so bad at diy with clothes. xo

    www.almostdelightful.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good for you for making it! That is awesome! It looks like it was made that way.

    Amy

    fashionandbeautyfinds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. ohhh onpa hieno! erihyvä idea :--)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Satu, you crazy talented thing, this is so amazing! I remember a funny story in high school where I almost failed sewing classes because I couldn't sew in a straight line (why? because the sewing machine was on zig zag mode! haha). You, on the other hand, would have flown through that class with flying colours! Love this post. :)

    Sending lots of love and sunshine to Finland!



    <3 Mandy xx
    http://frocksandotherfrivolities.blogspot.com
    GIVEAWAY ON MY BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  34. LOVE the skirt, so cool!

    xxx
    www.ladyalamode.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. i cant believe you made it ! looks so professional :) awesome !

    ReplyDelete
  36. hi!
    great post! i love the skirt and its print!
    bravo!
    you have a great blog
    what about following other?
    kisses from france
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  37. So pretty! I want to try this out! I recently stumbled across your blog and I LOVE it! I love the layout to the content and everything in between! Your style is just impeccable and your blog is simply the epitome of perfection! I am your newest, most avid follower, I look forward to reading your future posts. I would love it if you could perhaps follow me back too? Have a lovely day!

    Love from, THE EASTERN PEARL

    ReplyDelete
  38. Aww, thank you. :) ♥

    Kiiiitoos hih.^^

    ReplyDelete
  39. that is so so cute. wat a pretty skirt. i definitely want one now!!


    http://girl-gulaabi.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love this!!!!!!!! I wouldn't mind making one of these myself, you look beautiful in it!

    ReplyDelete