November 6, 2012

Addicted to You

I came across with this very interesting article about heels and the reasons why us women are so addicted to them. I own several pairs myself, don't even know how many at the moment. I don't wear them daily, but whenever I do they make me feel more feminine and confident.. But here's the article for you, enjoy! (I added the photos.)

Three Reasons Why Women Are Addicted To Shoes

Ever since Cinderella lost her glass slipper to the hands of a handsome prince, shoes have fascinated, spellbound and captivated women. In fact, so intense can the seemingly collective female obsession with shoes sometimes be that it clutters up wardrobes, empties wallets and can infuriate unsympathetic partners.

Mood enhancers
You can forget popping Prozac or other ‘happy drugs’ - if you want a real boost in serotonin just head on down to your nearest shoe store. For many women, buying a new pair of shoes can give our moods a serious boost, as Martin Lindstrom, a branding expert for Fortune 100 companies and author of ‘Buyology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy”, says:
“The neurotransmitter dopamine is released, providing a feel-good high, similar to taking a drug. The dopamine increases until you swipe your debit card. Shoppers rationalise shoes as a practical buy – something they can wear multiple times a week.”
From five-inch stilettos to a cool pair of flats, from a glitzy pair of silver shoes to a cute pair of wedges, the shoe buying addiction actually stems from a chemical reaction in the brain – increasing the mood-boosting neurotransmitter, dopamine.




A status enhancer
Putting on a pair of dominating and – for much of the male race – terrifying pair of five-inch heels, women don’t just elevate their height but they also elevate their status, or at least are perceived to do so. Wearing a pair of power dressing ‘killer’ heels to the office, or anywhere for that matter, gives a woman more confidence and more competence in the work place. As Helen Fisher, PhD, Professor of Anthropology at Rutgers University states: “like most animals, we associate height with power.”



Sex appeal
What could be sexier than a gorgeous girl with ultra long legs wearing a micro mini skirt and a pair of stunning shoes? Men recognise the sexy qualities of high heels and because women know men recognise this, many women endeavour to keep buying shoes that will augment their sex appeal to men.
Not only this, but there is supposedly a direct connection between legs and sex – meaning that anything which elongates or draws attention to this area can increase sex appeal.

So, at least now we know there are actually scientific explanations behind our shoe addiction. And, with such strong evidence behind our favourite pastime, there’s no excuse to not go and buy those sensational silver shoes that you’ve have had your eye on for weeks!

13 comments :

  1. This was quite interesting and made lots of sense really! I love shoes :)) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool post dear :)

    Join Estée Lauder Giveaway on my blog :)

    http://she-is-the-1.blogspot.ch/2012/11/giveaway-v.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I follow you and I hope you will reciprocate...
    http://www.5minutiearrivo.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think i most agree with the sex appeal argument, the other two come after that. it's the sexy feeling heels give, and generally the feeling of knowing that you are physically well pampered head to toe.




    WWW.FASHIONGEEKSCLOSET.COM
    JOIN NOW! International Giveaway of "100 Years of Fashion" Book

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this article - the psychology behind heels is very interesting, indeed! Personally, I am of a very petite stature (160cm! fun size! hehe) so I love that heels can give me more height!

    Thank you for sharing this lovely article and for including such dreamy heels!

    Hope it's not getting too cold on your end of the world!

    Love, Mandy xxx
    http://frocksandotherfrivolities.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. really interesting post! :) (pretty shoes!!)

    www.myladyboudoir.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous post, I just love shoes no reason needed !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post :) I really enjoyed reading it!! I can see where it comes from-I always wear heels on a night out as I'm really tiny, but alot of pain is involved!! And thankyou for allowing me to justify buying a new pair ;)

    ngofficial.blogspot.co.uk

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hih, ihana postaus! Itse kyllä uskon vakaasti siihen ettei liiallisesta korkkareiden käytöstä ole liian hyviä seurauksia, koska varsinkin väärin käveleminen koroilla on todella pahasta ryhdille. Mutta, tämän sanottuani myönnän itsekin olevani jonkin tason kenkäaddikti, ja jos tila ja budjetti antaisi periksi olisi kenkiä talossa paljon enemmänkin :D Yritän kumminkin rakastua mataliinkin aina silloin tällöin ettei terveydelle käy hassusti :DD ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. no news here but I think the most important reason why I buy shoes is the fact I like those shoes, not because I think someone else should or would like them. and yeah, I know men like high heels even when those heels make ladies slightly longer than them, haha.
    but there are times when I don't even want to see heels and enjoy sneakers intead :)

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your opinions and comments ! ^^ x

    Kiitos x

    ReplyDelete