December 13, 2012

Lux.

It was commonly believed in Scandinavia as late as the end of the 19th century that on 13th of December
 was the longest night of the year. It truly does seem like it, since it's been dark the whole day. 
This is also the day of light (in latin Lux. :) so I'm lighting loads of candles and fairy lights around the home.
It's Lucia's day, one of the few saint days observed in Scandinavia. 

( small glass green house & glass jar & fairy lights )

To me this is a very beautiful holy day, even though I'm not devotee. (It's the stories and lessons that make 
certain holidays special, and I do belong to church - my faith just is involved in everyday life instead of 
praising God. But that's all about my beliefs, and let's move on to the story of St. Lucia.) I think this is 
a really beautiful but a sad story. It is told that Lucia was a young girl who suffered a martyr death
 around year 310. Her crime was to help Christians hiding in the catacombs during Roman emperor Diocletian's terror. In order to carry as many supplies as possible with her to the pitch black catacombs
she needed to have both hands free. She solved this problem by attaching candles to a wreath on her head. 

This is why it has become a tradition that a young (usually blonde) woman wearing white dress, red belt and 
a crown of candles leads a procession of angelic girls and brings light to the darkness. The celebration of 
this day has spread to us Finnish people from Sweden, since that's where our religion and with that most 
holidays have come from. The St. Lucia of Finland has been elected since 1949 and she is crowned in the
 Helsinki Cathedral. Local St. Lucias are elected in almost every place where's Swedish populace in Finland, 
but it has spread to other parts aswell. My home town isn't Finnish-Swedish, but Lucia is chosen among high 
school students each year. And when I was on junior high school and we had little St. Lucia celebration 
there, I was chosen as candle girl with my class mate to walk beside her. 
Here's video from this year's celebration, from my local church.


26 comments :

  1. What a fantastic way to light up the night :)

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today we celebrate the day of Saint Lucia. Small ships with candels on it are set into small rivers. Children love this tradion.
    Have a good time.
    Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ihania valoja :) ite tykkään kans sytytellä kynttilöitä ympäri kämppää talvisin :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow really is that true? Ha everyone is worried about 12.21.12! Lovely photos and a lovely tradition. Very nice.

    Ali of:

    www.aliandang.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice
    agoratopronta.blogspot.com.br
    Xoxo, Van <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful!

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice idea!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. interesting fact

    thank you for the lovely comments.

    xx

    selvia

    am2pmchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Itsekin sytyttelin kynttilöitä :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. love light photos!

    Jessica
    http://www.jumpintopuddles.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful photo! even though i haven't been there, i always love scandinavian countries <3

    Versicle.
    Join my Chicnova giveaway here

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your´e in for a treat with Etsy, that´s for sure! I am very excited to see what your first purchase will be :)
    I just love Etsy, all the nice people from all over the world and all the beautiful handcrafted and vintage items :) I have decided to start my own shop there next year :) Since I´m almost done with my BA, I am hoping that I will find the time for it!

    Lucia is kind of magical I think, the whole Yule tradition is.. Since I´m not a christian, I call it Yule, because in norwegian we still call it Jul ;)


    Have a nice weekend Satu!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How pretty! Love hearing about different traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful tradition. I had forgotten about the story of Saint Lucia. I really love how you celebrate the darkest day of the year by bringing light into it. Your glowing lanterns are so lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so interesting. I think it would be a wonderful thing to celebrate. I love fairy lights.

    Tracy @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's such a cute tradition. And I like how it's the longest and darkest day of the year, but also the day of light! There's something poetic about that :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. gorgeous photos of the lights.. and wonderful tradition.. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely blog.
    http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow I really love that story - here it is summer so we have the longest day coming up (on the 22nd). I'm going to get some candles to light in the winter time though, I think it's such a nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  20. super beautiful pics!
    olguiscloset.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so so cool. This post totally rocks!!!
    Best Regards
    Miss Margaret Cruzemark
    http://margaretcruzemark.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. All the lights look so pretty :) and I love Lucia! It's a really nice tradition! I hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. ohh so nice pics dear!!
    xoxo and have a ncie weekend=)

    ReplyDelete