June 28, 2013

They Call me the Queen of Thrifting

.. and I'm starting to think so too. After years of practice and simple fools luck, I've made some pretty amazing finds. Click on the tag "second-hand" to see the ones I've shown here.

I really do love going to flea markets every now and then. I don't visit them daily or weekly, sometimes not even once a month. But whenever I do, I have my eyes peeled for all the cute vintage items with history or a story to tell (and tiny price tag on), among all the mass produced crap with huge prices.

I certainly will not pay 15 euros for a new dress that will shrink two sizes after one wash, 
when I can get a cute purse from some sweet old lady's table - and for just 1 euro!
This actually happened to me last week. We visited some local thrift stores with my friend,
and she saw a pretty cute dress by Vila: very suitable for summer parties. It had never been used,
but something about it just screamed "I'm cheap, poorly made and you'll find me on sales racks
for 5 euros"..Even though that will not probably be the case. Anyway, that's what I thought:
I would definitely see something like that on nearby shops sale sections,
and much cheaper than this thrift store one! Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong about
selling cheap clothes with cheap prices. Even I do that, since I have purchased
so many high street pieces among second-hand clothes.
SIDE NOTE: The store itself doesn't price the clothes and other stuff, the people who
have rented a table there for selling their stuff do it themselves. To me this kind of pricing is just insane: so you've bought a dress for lets say 30 euros, and you've worn it once at friends wedding,
and then you want to get rid of it but without loosing too much money.. So you take it to the
nearest flea market with rest of your stuff, and price it with a number that's -50% from the original?
You're a maniac to even think that someone would buy it ..and only a crazy person would actually
pay that much for a high street piece. And these are just my personal opinions.
So my friend did not buy it. And the other reason why I protested: she didn't want to try it on first!
What if it wouldn't have suited her figure or would show off all the wrong places..? 
Whenever you buy anything that you're going to wear: try it on. Trust me.

Well that's enough with my rambling, let's get to the recent thrifted items of mine !

Ahoy, Sailor!


Striped skirt with Golden buttons & Vintage purse

 As I said before, there's nothing wrong about thrifted cheap clothes - if they're sold even cheaper. This H&M skirt was 4 euros - and has a vintage look, that's a bonus! But this bag is truly old & used, some nice old lady's treasure.. Plus cost me only 1 euro.

Bouquet of Silk Roses

When I saw this bouquet my first thought was to make a floral wreath. But when I placed these roses on the vase I couldn't bare the thought of destroying them anymore. (And after all, the headdress would have been just for artistic purposes.)

Tiny Rabbit Figurine


..With the cutest little smiley face! Seeing him made me feel so warm 
and happy that I just had to have him.



 He's also the newest friend of my jewelry box -rabbit!
(which was a gift from my dear friend ♥)



* smile! *

At the time this post is published, I'll be enjoying my holiday with a dear friend J.
(the one who gave me this big rabbit jewelry box) in Riga ! Will be back on Monday.
Walking down the narrow streets of Old Town and having a piece of cake or two ..
Must try one steak place I saw last time visiting Riga, Steiku Haoss. Mmm. ^^
I have mini-laptop with me, but I'm not sure whether I'll be spending much time with blogger
- it's rather for checking up schedules and addresses etc. useful :)

Ardievu, mani dãrgie draugi!

(I'm not sure if I spelled it correctly, just took it straight from translator :D)
=Good bye, dear friends! x

51 comments :

  1. Flea markets are so much fun.
    Great way to save money, too.
    Love your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! ^^ hehe, even today made some great & inexpensive finds..

      Delete
  2. Have a great holiday! :)


    I like your purchases - the skirt is very pretty :)


    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mica! :) We sure did.
      Aww thanks, I love it too. Must wear it soon, it's just been quite cold lately..

      Delete
  3. Wow, such beautiful pictures. I love the bag :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sofie! :) So glad to hear. I'm trying to improve my skills ..even though the camera is preeetty rubbish. :P
      Aww thanks, I love it too ! Such a cute piece.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous items, adore the bag :)) Have a wonderful time in Riga :)) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I love them too :)
      We sure did xx

      Delete
  5. I really like old things with charakter. And i.m.o things needn't be expensive to be pretty.
    Have a good time
    Sunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure agree! Flea markets are often the best places to shop x

      Delete
  6. Amazing post!
    Check out this summer giveaway!

    Your Princess is in Another Castle


    xx Sofie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pics!
    keep it up!

    Follow me: www.theforeignergirl.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful finds!!!
    Have a lovely weekend doll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looove thrifting ! you can find such original stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trifting rules!
    Tosi nätti hame. Ja kurre on söpö x3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! ;)
      Oi kiitos, tykkään! Aww hän on söpö. Miulle hän on pupu koska korvat on niin pitkät eikä ole kuin töpöhäntä.. Mutta voi olla oravakin hihhi^^

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I guess it requires a special mood to find anything from thrift shops. :) x

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks Marina xx I think so too ;)

      Delete
  13. I'm at the point where if I go to stores I get absolute sticker shock. Like I can't believe I used to pay so much for clothes! I usually only go second hand, too, and you have been having amazing luck! That striped skirt is so sweetly nautical, i really like it!

    xo Marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! Although sometimes I find something So amazing at "normal" stores that I just have to have it .. BUT, I've become more money conscious too; sometimes I know that "I could totally thrift this"! :)

      Thanks, I really love it! I hope it gets warmer soon so I can wear it (it's been raining lately..)

      Delete
  14. this purse is so cute! great findings Satu!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. your roses look so pretty :) it's great to get a good bargain as well, i agree! xxx

    I left my heart in Miami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Sophie! ^^ I'm so glad you visited, too .. :)

      Delete
  16. wow lovely
    http://glamorousgirlblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thrifting queen...haha that's an awesome title to hold! :)

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha isn't it ;) Self-titled I suppose.. But often called that too :)

      Delete
  18. I need to go thrifting with you...you've found the sweetest pieces!Have a wonderful weekend sweety!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, definitely! If we ever happen to meet xx

      Delete
  19. I love the bag! :) You have a nice blog. I am your new follower on GFC. I hope you will follow me back, come see my blog now. See you :)

    XX, IamJenniya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jenniya! :) I'm sorry it took so long to reply, but I'm visiting you now xx

      Delete
  20. flea markets are always full of great surprises ;)
    those roses are absolutely perfect, i'm actually speechless...they look like they're real!
    and, have fun at Riga, enjoy, dear Satu :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! ^^ I do love them, and couldn't bare to make headdress of them after all :D My bf thinks otherwise, haha. But he's a guy!

      x Thanks, we sure did!

      Delete
  21. Kiitos inspiraatiosta ihana, pitääkin ensi viikolla käyttää jokin sateinen iltapäivä kirppareiden kiertelyyn. :) On noi sun löydöt ainakin sen verran makeita ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Oi ollos hyvä vaan! Nyt onkin noita sateisia päiviä riittänyt.. Kivoja kirpparihetkiä ;)
      Aww kiitos paljon ♥

      Delete
  22. you know I love thrifting and I also love reading how others do it and what they find. so I must say your finds are GORGEOUS! I especially love the vintage bag (obviously) but also those flowers. fake flowers haven't quite been my thing but those really are pretty! oh and I hope you enjoy your time in Riga. I will probably go there in August or September :)

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the comment! :)
      Before I found these roses fake flowers weren't really my thing either .. but these ones looked so real and cute! ^^ I've also been thinking about buying some peonies ..

      Delete
  23. So original! I adore flea markets as well :)

    xx

    Adeline

    ReplyDelete
  24. SO CUTE! i love the stripe skirt and the little bunny is so cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Tuo raitahame on ihan täydellinen!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like these photos,the skirt is beautiful

    www.kissydress.fr

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous room!

    Jade xx

    www.fairytalekiss.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  28. There are some charity stores that I refuse to go into because they try to jack up the prices to the most awful garbage!! Someone will donate an ugly dress from the mall store from 1990 and it happens to still have the tag on it, so they want to price it at 30 dollars! In spite the fact that it's old and unfashionable. I'm glad sometimes they don't realize that they're pricing the actual good stuff way cheaper!

    ReplyDelete