October 18, 2013

Fairy Tale Day

Today, on October 18th is my name day in Finland. I'm not sure whether it's 
all that common to celebrate it in any way nationwide (or in your countries?), 
but whenever this day hits I get some text messages, even cards or gifts. 
Like a second mini-birthday, yayy! Today felt more special than ever, since Samuli 
made me really nice Satu's day breakfast and already last night he gave me huge bag of candies: 
"specially picked with love for you" he said! :) Hehe, just gotta love that man. 
But all in all, I don't really celebrate name days - this year it's been mainly because 
I have only American calendar (gift from Ninj&Ninj!) and there's only U.S national holidays 
written there, so I can't possibly remember anyone's name days .. Poor excuse :D

The word "Satu" also stands for fairy tales, which is why this day has also become 
national "Satupäivä". That translates as Day of the Fairy Tales, I could say. 
So that is why I wanted to share some really adorable photos that fit to this theme. 
Have you read any fairy tales, or have you been read to as a child? I've always loved good stories, 
especially old folk tales by the Grimm brothers or Hans Christian Andersen, Finnish "satusetä" = "fairy tale uncle", sort of speak. You know any of those mentioned? These stories can be quite brutal, with evil witches and sword fights and all, but there's likely to always be a happy ending - and everybody loves those. 






There's more ..


I've asked here before - but already long time ago - whether you have any favorite fairy tales. 
Would you like to share some with us? :)

Here's some of my Finnish favourites:
Adalmina's Pearl by Zacharias Topelius
Pessi and Illusia by Yrjö Kokko
Moomin by Tove Jansson (we'll she was swedish-speaking to be correct)

I also deeply love Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, 
Little Mermaid by H.C. Andersen, 
Sleeping Beauty etc. by the Grimms
(although I'm not sure which version of this Prinsessa Ruusunen I've read, 
is it Charles Perrault instead..) and Snow White by the Grimms,
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie,
Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren and many more..










20 comments :

  1. So Lovely.
    Will you like to follow each other on GFC, FB and Twitter? Love
    New Post Fashion Talks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy! x Will visit you back.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks x Will visit you back now!

      Delete
  3. amazing post! so in love with those pics!!


    http://theminimalistchic.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adalmiinan helmi oli pienenä munkin suosikkeja, ja rakastin myös Arielia ja tottakai muumeja ja Peppi Pitkätossua. Muita lempparisatuja oli tarinat Melukylän lapsista ja Vaahteramäen Eemelistä. Lisäksi pidin kovasti kirjasta nimeltään Hyppeli-Hiiri Myökkipyökki metsässä.

    Olipa ihana postaus, on aina kiva kuulla kirjoittajasta vähän pintaa syvemmältä :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiitos paljon Kirsi! :) Hauska kuulla myös sinun lempparisaduista. Hyppeli-Hiiri onkin ihan uusi tuttavuus.. ^^

      Delete
  5. I can't choose just one picture, Just love them all, there's something about fairy tales that makes me feel like my soul is warm.. I don't know hot to explain it LOl

    Xo
    L
    blogablebeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I totally agree! They're really close to my heart, and it doesn't matter that I'm an adult either.. Hmm this reminds me, I better watch some Once Upon a Time now.. ;)

      Delete
  6. I know I am very late, but happy name day!!! I love all kinds of fairy tales, with Alice in Wonderland being one of my favourites too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks dear! And I'm so sorry I haven't replied. Will visit asap. x

      Delete
  7. These inspirations photos are gorgeous! Especially the first one, it's almost magic. One of my favorite fairy tales has always been The Ugly Duckling. But I generally find everything H. C. Andersen ever wrote amazing :)

    /Cindi

    http://cherriesandsunflowers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to hear about your favorite tales! :) Ugly Duckling is so sweet, in all it's cruelness. :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful collection here
    lovely..picture...

    ReplyDelete